FoundationGives the name of the site — generally in its Old Irish form, (if attested in early or medieval sources, or if it appears to be readily reconstructable) otherwise the modern English placename is given.: Glenn Uissen

Documented AssociationGives the names of Early Christian ecclesiastics (the DIB terms such individuals often regarded as founders of churches — saints in the Irish tradition), whose association with the sites concerned is based on documentary sources.:Diarmait; Comgán
LineageThis records the reputed ancestral lines of individuals given in Doc Assoc.:Uí Bairrche; Dál Cais
TownlandGives the townland (name spelt as in TTPBI Index) in which the site is (or is thought to be) located.:Killeshin
ParishGives the civil (not ecclesiastical) parish in which the townland is situated.:Killeshin
DioceseThis records the medieval (not necessarily the same as the modern) diocese in which the foundation lies.:Leighlin
BaronyGives the modern barony (as in TTPBI Index the baronies were rationalised in 19thC) in which the townland and civil parish are situated.:Slievemargy
CountyGives the county in which the barony lies.:Laois
ProvinceGives both the civil province in which the county lies and the ecclesiastical province to which the diocese belongs.:Leinster; Dublin
SourcesThis is concerned almost exclusively with hagiographical sources (mainly Lives of the saints, martyrologies and genealogies of the saints) and relates to the individuals and lineages in Doc Assoc and Lineage.:VSH (Mo-Chua T.M., §2); Mart.T; Mart.O; Mart.G; Mart.D; LL 351c, 352c, 365f, 372d; Colgan, Acta, 417
Recorded HistoryThis concerns the subsequent history of the site, with emphasis on pre-Norman (or early post-Norman) native sources mainly annals but also including medieval ecclesiastical records (charters or taxations), English Crown documents and, on occasion, modern sources (especially surveys or maps, which may mark the location of lost sites or illuminate placenames).:Ann.Ult 1042 (bnd. - dairtech); Ann.FM 1077
Clerical StatusThis seeks to classify foundations as episcopal coarbial or eremitic based on the clerical orders ascribed to the reputed founder, the later succession-record or the placename of the site.:coarbial; episcopal?
GenderThis seeks to classify foundations as male or female based on the gender of the reputed founder, the later succession-record or the placename of the site.:male
Succession RecordLists ecclesiastics, male or female, who succeeded to offices at the foundation concerned abbots, abbesses, comarbai, bishops often clerics of less exalted rank such as treasurers, lectors, scribes. These lists make no claim to be exhaustive; fuller accounts for major sites can be found in the New History of Ireland, vol. 8, and in published prosopographies.:abb (Ann.FM): 874, 915, 917, 938, 946, 951, 986, 1016; airch: 977; comarba: 1045; secnab: 1014; fer léiginn: 1014, 1082
Field RemainsRecords physical remains of sites, whether visible in the field or accessed through excavation. Precedence is given to features considered to be characteristic of the Early Christian/pre-Reform era, such as enclosures, (especially circular or oval), cross-slabs, high-crosses, bullauns and raised areas — with round towers and church remains further down the list unless there is a strong case for doing otherwise.:eccl site; ch ruin - Romanesque (no. 765); inscriptions; gvyd
ArtifactsIn general, this records only items which may support the case for the site as a pre-Reform ecclesiastical settlement (especially croziers, shrines, chalices etc) — whether recovered by search or excavation, or merely associated with the site by tradition. Also included are such items as querns and kilns as flour-production was an important part of life at ecclesiastical (although also, admittedly, at secular) settlement sites.:Rawlinson B 502 compilation orig here?
BibliographyMentions secondary references (sometimes very select indeed) to the site concerned. Some contain detailed discussion, others (especially where little else seems to be available) only the briefest mentions. For details see the Bibliography page.:O'Hanlon &; O'Leary 1907, 1, 257-64; Hogan 1910, 446; Crawford 1925, 83-94; Harbison 1970, 140; Smyth 1982, 60; Ó Riain 1985, 325; Bhreathnach 1994, 33-47; MacShamhráin 1996, 86, 95, 110 n.7, 154, 225; Kennedy 2003, 95-7; O'Keeffe 2003
AddendumIncludes fragments of additional information (or comments on the part of the compilers) relating to the site in question.:Sheet 32; rd twr destroyed 1703; Dál Cais introduce cult of Comgán; Uí Bairrche link with Glendalough by 11thC - Ua Manacháin line